Thursday, July 17, 2008

Postpartum Depression

To avoid many phone calls...and emails, I just wanted to let you all know, I have been having a pretty hard time adjusting. It seems I have been hit hard, yet again, with the baby blues. I really don't want to go into details here, but just keep us in your prayers as we get through these very tough first few weeks of little Gabe being with us. Allie is also going through some struggles...we have been so close and she is now realizing this baby is here to stay. She is waking up in the middle of the night screaming for mommy. Other times, she pushes me away when I try to interact with her. It just really hard right now with lots of tears. I don't know how I would ever get through this without the help of my mom and my amazing husband who is so incredibly strong! When he comes home from work, he adds so much life to my down in the dump moods. Anyway....sorry for not returning all of your phone calls, but this is the reason why. Just pray that this Postpartum depression passes soon!!!!!

13 comments:

The Roper's said...

I am thinking of you and praying for you-I hope it passes very soon. I can not imagine. Love You!

royster family said...

Bethany, I can so relate to what you are going through. The exact same thing happened to me when Savannah was born. Do you remember you all had come in from the beach the day we got home with her and all of you came over to see her. Your dad asked me how Peyton was doing and I had a meltdown crying right there in front of you all! He was completely pushing me away. I am sure you will be getting lots of advice, but I just want to tell you IT WILL PASS and I admire you for being honest and talking about it. So many people try to hide it and consequently they suffer more and longer. Not to change the subject, but Savannah just walked in and asked me what I was doing- i told her I was sending you a note. She said, "Tell her I got braces yesterday" So Bethany, Savannah got braces yesterday! Take care!

Lindsey said...

You are an awesome mommy! You will get through this. I know it seems like it will never end, but it will...promise! Please don't hesitate to call me if you need ANYTHING!!! Love you!

Tonya said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know how you feel. I went through a little baby blues stage myself after Adam was born. You will get past this. Just keep leaning on your husband and your mom for strength. They will help you overcome this trial.

Gayla said...

I am so sorry that you are going through this. You are a strong woman that is very blessed with a great support system. I will be praying that this passes soon. If you need anything at all, I am here for you. Take care.

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

I am so sorry that you are going through this, Bethany. I am glad that you shared this so people can be praying for you. I know how emotional I was after I had mine and what a major adjustment it was. My hormones were so out of whack and it took a big toll on me. Lots of mommies go through it. Hang in there! We'll be praying for you and for your whole family as you get through this adjustment time. Love you!

Emily said...

Bethany, We are praying for you, and I agree with everyone else YOU are a strong woman and you have a great support system, so lean on them as much as you can. Just know that you are a wonderful mom and that Allie loves you very much, no matter what. I love you and if you need to talk you can call or email anytime I am here for you. I only wish we lived closer so thatwe could be there to help you all and give you a big hug. Emily said to say hi and she blew you all 6 kisses.

juju said...

Bethany, you are the best mom, wife and daughter! In the process of a miracle with Baby Gade's birth, your hormones crashed and sent your system into a tail-spin. Having two is awesome, but takes adjustments for each of you, as I so well know with Addy and Bryce. Take advantage of those who are there to help, and make a little time in each day for you! Before you know it, each day will be brighter and happier and these days will be in your past - know that you are so loved and in our prayers continually. I love you,
Juju

beckie said...

I know it is really hard to deal with postpartum depression, I'm already dealing with it, and I'm still 25 weeks pregnant! I hope that you all get adjusted to your new life quickly.

Tracy Williams said...

We've talked about it but just wanted to post that I am thinking and praying for you. I hope this passes soon. I am always here to talk. Love you so much!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to be there...I remember being there myself!! Your openness and honesty is admirable! Praying for you! -Angel

**Punkydoop's World** said...

Bethany,
I am so proud of you and I am sure what you are experiencing right now is so hard, but it will pass and I am sure it will pass soon! You are such a strong and well put together person and I know Stephen and your Mom are helping so much! I am always thinking about you and when you are ready I can't wait to talk! I miss you!! Please don't hesitate if you need anything at all, call or email me - whatever is easiest!!
Love you!

Em said...

I too had postpartum depression with my second child and required meds. I thought the fact that I took meds ment I was crazy but lemme tell you - embrace those pills because they will literally save your life. Other things that helped me were forcing myself to actually hold my son (I felt like a good mom when I held him, but I really didn't want to), stopping breastfeeding was one of the biggest things that helped (got rid of the extra stress) and getting out of the house - although I cried in the produce isle at the grocery store... oh well, I felt better! I also was open and honest about it (like you) and everyone supported me! I am now pregnant with my third, know the warning signs and have already discussed a plan with my Dr. to go on meds before the baby is born to avoid the whole "aftermath" so to speak. After three weeks of the meds you will finally start to feel 100% again - you have a beautiful family and I enjoy reading your blog.