Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Quail hunting

Stephen has never been a hunter, but recently he has had the opportunity to....well, give it a shot. So, this past week he and a couple of guys here in Greenville went quail hunting. From what I hear, he shot 5 quail....altogether the guys shot 25ish. This is only his prep course for his big hunting trip next week to Kings Ranch in Tx...where, in addition to quail, he will be hunting deer and nelgai.



Stephen and Gus. From what Stephen explained to me, they would walk the field and the dogs would "point" when they came upon a quail nest (or whatever you call them). Then when everyone was in position...the hunting guide would kick the covey (sp?) and the birds would spread into the air.

Target practice...

And here is his target (from over 150 yards away).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhm...I'm not much of a hunter either...but I think in that one picture, the gun might be facing the wrong direction!!
I am really getting a laugh out of the new "woodsy-er" Stephen! First fishing, now hunting...You are going to have a big deer head mounted in your living room, if you are not careful!

The Roper's said...

Where is Stephen's hand in that first picture???? We had so much fun with you and the kiddos!! Hope to see you again soon :)