Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sally, Molly, and Bouncy

012 copy

Allie about flipped out the other day when she saw a caterpillar inch by.

Okay, so maybe that was me...but Allie was excited too.

015 copy

I've seen those "butterfly habitats" around and have been wanting to get one for the kids, but cheap me, does things the frugal way by finding our own caterpillars and guessing on the host plant so that the caterpillar will have a plentiful food supply.

006 copy

Sally and Molly (caterpillerish names if you ask me) now live in our "port a bug" mesh net.

I think we found leaves they eat (hydrangea leaves). I've also cleaned out caterpiller scat from the port a bug.

But I do admit I am no caterpillar expert and if anybody has any advice on keeping these guys alive until they spin their crysalis (sp)...I'm all ears.

If this doesn't work, I guess I'll fork over the $15 for the real butterfly habitat complete with larva and food.

UPDATE: Sally and Molly were released after noticing they were losing weight. BUUUUUUT, Allie had found a third caterpillar on Easter, named Bouncy.

Check out Bouncy now!!!!!!


410 copy

We've got a cocoon! I read to allow 7-14 days and are moth friend will emerge.

1 comment:

Tim Logan said...

Way to go! Keep us posted on the progress. Be sure to take picture of the latest grandbutterfly.
Love you
Pop